The purpose of the SFSDC is to assist the development of the forage seed industry in Saskatchewan, by the following means:
- promote and develop the forage seed industry in Saskatchewan;
- develop procedures to maximize returns to producers of forage seed;
- encourage sustainable production of a uniform high-quality product;
- gather, compile and distribute information related to the production, consumption and marketing of forage seed;
- conduct and encourage research on the production, processing and consumption of the forage seed; and
- establish a levy on all forage seed for the purpose of carrying out the objectives of the plan.